Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

12,788 posts in this topic

Meg, I think a lot of the players play injured and try to ignore the pain although a number of them give up during the tournament.  If you are injured and know that the injury will not allow you to continue playing you should not enter the tournament.  However,  I guess some injuries occur during the various matches and in the case of a Masters tournament you have to win by the three sets rather than just two and quite often it leads into five sets to get the two set advantage which put greater stress on the body.  Cilic maybe thought he could continue and be able to ignore the pain but foot blisters in a tennis match are just too much.  Federer would probably have won anyway if Cilic had been healthy but there's always that bit of doubt as he is a really good player and maybe wanted the win that much more having been runner-up in the Aegon tournament.

Luna, sounds like you had a good workout in your forest bathing, good to be out in the fresh air.

Not saying that Cillic should not have played, just very surprised that he should have acquired a blister in the first place. I would have expected that foot care, including socks & shoes that did not cause friction, would have been a very high priority for someone who was likely to be spending hours dashing about on a tennis court.

Injuries caused by a slip, or trip, or by over-reaching I can understand, but I would have though a blister was avoidable considering all the money spent on medical/physio experts and on equipment/clothing. 

You're probably right Meg, maybe wrong choice of shoes, he did seem to be wearing very thin tennis shoes - I hope his foot recovers and doesn't become a chronic type blister problem.

Not that it's important, Cilic said in his press conference afterwards that the blister arrived on top of a callous and he felt it in the semi-final.  To be fair to him he could hardly pull out of the Wimbledon final citing a blister. Especially after the controversy of players turning up and starting a match knowing that they can't finish it just to get the loser's fee (£35,000 in two cases).  Further, two out of the eight who retired applied to play doubles!  So, he did the best he could with what he had.  Blisters are really painful and always occur right where you don't want them and when you don't need them - in my experience - and these guys can't avoid getting them, I'm sure.

We are having another hot and sunshiny day but we are both pretty tired so didn't walk much

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Have been hanging on all evening in hope of the heavy rain we were supposed to get from teatime onwards. Heard some thunder rumbling around in the distance, but no rain and no obvious rain-clouds in sight. May have to get the hose out in the morning :(

Didn't have to wait too long! Woken a bit after midnight to thunder and heavy rain!

Not all that much rain, and only a few bursts of it was really heavy, so no damage to plants in the garden. I got up and sat for an hour watching a spectacular display of nature's own Son et Lumiere. Flashes of lightening coming from every side, and some so bright that, for the split second, the garden could be seen in full colour.

Rather glad we are in a bungalow!

Absolutely nothing to show for it this morning, other than a few puddles -  a calm sea and a blue sky for my morning walk.

I ended up having to water my pots last night and oh it was humid!  I'll need to refill the bird bath this morning.  No rain and no lightening for us.

We were both up through the night feeling cold(!) and had to put more clothes on the bed, which was weird.

19 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

We are having another hot and sunshiny day but we are both pretty tired so didn't walk much

i find the heat very tiring without doing anything myself.

the heat also affects my skin issue (though also a rider had to quit the tour de france this year over heat affecting a skin problem he also has)

I sympathize with those suffering from the heat, July is maybe our worst month here in Ontario for heat and humidity and can be really unpleasant and it has some of us hankering for the cooler winds of Autumn but that is kind of rushing the summer.

We haven't had too much of a problem with lack of rain as there have been a couple of quick downpours in the last week or so which helps with keeping the flowers watered.

Sounds like quite and interesting light show you had Meg with the lightning the other night, not too keen on thunderstorms but usually the accompanying rain is really welcomed.

In a first for me I actually went clothes shopping (a most hated occupation) and managed to get a top, trousers and shoes in under an hour.  Amazing.

It's till hot and humid but no too sunshiney.  There was rain this morning and my plants look good!

In my excitement at my successful clothes shop yesterday I forgot to mention that my father bought a book in Waterstones also yesterday, for which I got the points and a stamp.  This was the last stamp I need and now I qualify for a free book!  Only the members here (and my father) would understand my excitement over this.

We went for a very short forest bathe in our favourite Chaelherault Country Park.  It very nearly was actually bathing as it had started to rain. Fortunately the rain came to nothing and we went to the Clyde Valley and bought some more Campanula.

Good for you Luna that you tackled a dreaded shopping expedition.  I now shop via my IPad and find much of what I'm looking for on Amazon.ca.  There is such a wide selection of goods and yesterday I ordered a set of cutlery, some of my everyday cutlery is showing signs of wear so it was great to see pictures of various designs and descriptions to choose from.  I've been quite lucky so far with items I've ordered - hopefully this will continue.

I hope that you and Meg continue to have enough rain showers to keep your plants watered without having to rely on other means.  Meg, you are doing well with your daily walks.

I am still going for physio on my arm and look forward to the time that the pain goes and I have full use of my arm, ever hopeful!

Edited by momac