Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

12,513 posts in this topic

Anyone else imagining the meeting between Mm and Luna in the very near future?   

Just think they could have crossed each other's path in the park and never known.  They must live fairly close to each other.  It would be nice for them to meet up for a chat at the cafe.

It would be lovely although I suspect that some people using this site and others like it would prefer for any contact to remain online.  I know that there are only a few people on the site that I would not want to walk into, most users I would love to walk into in the park for a chat.

As MM goes walking in Chatelherault in the evening and I'm walking during the day (when MM is probably at work) the chances of us meeting are slim.  However, you never know.

1 hour ago, Lunababymoonchild said:

As MM goes walking in Chatelherault in the evening and I'm walking during the day (when MM is probably at work) the chances of us meeting are slim.  However, you never know.

True. I often think that it's funny that none of us would recognise each other in the real world. But I like it that way, having a different identity.

2 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

True. I often think that it's funny that none of us would recognise each other in the real world. But I like it that way, having a different identity.

Absolutely

Have realized that some of the psychological suspense books I get on Kindle seem pretty near to horror and I don't have the temperament to read them, they are sensory overload so I guess I'm getting to be faint hearted in my senior years - however I do know I won't slide over to romance books, they are worse than suspense. :scratchhe

I don't think that it is a case of becoming faint hearted Momac just that we become bored by a genre eventually.  I used to read a lot of crime series but got fed up with them eventually.  Now I just pick things at random although I do still follow authors.  That is one of the reasons why I love BGO so much, it is brilliant for finding new ones so just as I am exhausting one a new one comes along.  I am just starting out on Julian Barnes and John Banville at the moment.  Like you I am not sure that I could cope with out and out romance!

Thanks for the name of a couple of authors I haven't yet tried CP so thought I'd have a go at Julian Barnes' Sense of an Ending - it will be a change from the suspense and police procedurals.  After that will try John Banville. Maybe get me going in a different direction.

I read Sense of an Ending a couple of weeks ago Momac and loved it.  It is only a short book but well worth reading.  I am reading The Sea by John Banville at the moment and am finding it really difficult to put down.  The characters in each book are wonderfully drawn.  Both authors seem to have a real understanding of human nature.  Both books won the Man Booker Prize and for once I think that I can understand why.  If you give either of them a go I hope that you enjoy them as much as I have.

Seem to be many ups and downs in people's lives of late.

It'll be a month tomorrow since we moved down to the south coast. The house, which we bought off one of those people who buy wrecks, do them up and sell them on, needs no work to speak of (although none of the doors seem to fit their frames well, if at all), which is just as well given my virtually nonexistent DIY skills. Lady L is the man of the house in that respect.

So it has mostly been about furniture so far - a bed for Edgar, one of the two sofas and an easy chair, side tables, mirrors, pictures, TV stand, that sort of thing. Chest of drawers frustratingly delayed until July. Still to find: wardrobes and a shed.

Other big news for me is that, within a week of returning to work following the move I quit my job. Nothing to do with the lengthy commute, I just came to dislike the job and the majority of the people I worked with so much that when Lady L pointed out to me that the probation period was as much a chance for me to assess them as for them to assess me, that at the end of it I decided the best course of action would be to quit, so I am officially unemployed. There didn't seem to be much point in spending a lot of money to travel a long way to a job I had grown to detest in a short period of time.

As the house move was a downsize and away from London, we are in a better position financially than we have been for some time so we can cope with what will hopefully be a short period without work. I would be prepared to start travelling to London again for the right job, which this one patently wasn't. I have chalked it up to experience, decided I made a mistake and have moved on.

Hello Gram, I really hope that the future will bring you the employment which works for you and it would be even better if it was nearer at hand than having to travel although that may be necessary.  That sounds like the right choice about leaving the job you had, if you have a bad feeling about it within a short period of time the chances of it improving wouldn't be great.  

Being in a new home presents challenges but they all get worked out one way or the other and it might be interesting for you to venture into the DIY skills - you might find you like it although doors and frames might be a bit much for the first attempt.  There are lots of books, as I'm sure you know, about how to put things together and you're a clever man so it might work out for you.  I know that I'm not good with regular tools but sometimes I find my way around a problem by just using an implement at hand that works, although hubby is great with woodwork so anything problematic I leave to him.  Cutlery comes in handy sometimes if a screwdriver isn't near to hand. :)                 

Wishing you and Lady L all the best, and a hug for that curly haired young man from me, he looks like a really nice youngster with a lovely big sister.

Gram, the house, the location and your  family all are great positives as was the good decision to leave that job as soon as you could.  Do hope that your health improves.

Edited by chuntzy
Inserting a word