Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

William Matthew Scott died in 1964.

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   Cornish Maed

Cornish Maed

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thank you AA for being such a fount of knowledge on Will Scott and the Cherries. Like so many others I found this site while searching for information on the books. I loved them as a kid, got my first one as a primary school prize in 1954, The Cherry's by the Sea. I no longer have any copies, but, reading your wonderful postings AA, I now realise how influential they were in shaping my enthusiasms - all those maps! For some time I have wanted to research Will Scott and the Cherry's, I now propose to try and find answers to some of your questions - Market Cray, here I come!

#43 OFFLINE   Aurélien Arkadiusz

Aurélien Arkadiusz

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

:festive: Welcome, Cornish Maed.

Living so far away from the UK, I have never been able to do any Cherrys research on the ground in Kent and adjacent counties. Anything you can come up with will help us build this thread.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :)

#44 OFFLINE   scubaman

scubaman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

As a child in the fifties I found myself captivated by a series of books I used to find in my local library and my own school library, the adventures of the Cherry family, as a grandfather in his sixties the memories of these books are still as strong, imagine my joy when researching the internet, to see if anything remained of what I was sure was an obscure relic of a now unfashionable middle class world, that the Cherrys were still very much alive in the minds of others who had read the books, Freud himself would probably be hard pushed for an answer as to why,maybe as Spike Milligan observed, the future is uncertain,the present is traumatic but the past is secure and safe, never mind the important thing for me is that there are more middle aged 9 year olds in the world than just myself, grow up! never! thats for old people, mind you at least I am old enough now to have the income to buy the few remaining titles I have found, would love to know why they seem to be only available in New Zealand or Australia. By the way I was also captivated by a book entitled The Helicoptor Children, if anybody can find any information on that one I would be seriously impressed.

#45 OFFLINE   Aurélien Arkadiusz

Aurélien Arkadiusz

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

:wavey: Greetings Scubaman.

As a child in the fifties I found myself captivated by a series of books I used to find in my local library and my own school library, the adventures of the Cherry family, as a grandfather in his sixties the memories of these books are still as strong, imagine my joy when researching the internet, to see if anything remained of what I was sure was an obscure relic of a now unfashionable middle class world, that the Cherrys were still very much alive in the minds of others who had read the books...

Myself, I read the first few 'Cherrys' titles whilst still a child, but was grown up well before #14 was released.

maybe as Spike Milligan observed, the future is uncertain,the present is traumatic but the past is secure and safe, never mind the important thing for me is that there are more middle aged 9 year olds in the world than just myself, grow up! never! thats for old people, mind you at least I am old enough now to have the income to buy the few remaining titles I have found, would love to know why they seem to be only available in New Zealand or Australia.

As a pensioner I could never afford to buy in Will Scott's 14 'Cherrys' books these days. 'Tis certainly true that a respectable number of copies were exported out here to New Zealand, but only rarely do battered copies turn up in local booksales. My own collection I purchased new, over a 2- 3 year period, in my early twenties. Must say that if it felt a little, well odd to be buying children's books at that period of my life, I've since come to bless the impulse that caused me so to do. A tribute to the lasting impact of this wonderful series.

By the way I was also captivated by a book entitled The Helicoptor Children, if anybody can find any information on that one I would be seriously impressed.

Not in my collection, I'm sorry. Did you mean 'The Helicopter Children' by Denise Hill (Pied Piper Books, 1967) or the earlier book of the same title by Lucy W. Bellhouse (Harrap, 1956)?

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :)

#46 OFFLINE   Cornish Maed

Cornish Maed

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

"The Market Cray maps not only include several features that are never mentioned in any of the 14 'Cherrys' books, but also show one highly unusual building that surely would only have been included if it was actually drawn from real life. Worth thinking about."

AA, as part of your research have you visited Francis Frith's web pages - old photos of many parts of UK, plus, reminiscences of people who knew the place, usually in the '50s. As a child I thought the books were based on St Mary Cray, now part of Orpington. I used to spend school holidays in Petts Wood, which is in the same general area and has the mix of 16th century, 1930's and 1950-60's architecture common in UK market towns.

You comment on one 'highly unusual building' which I can't identify from the maps you have posted. Can you be more specific? It could help my detective work!
:scratchhe

#47 OFFLINE   Aurélien Arkadiusz

Aurélien Arkadiusz

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

"The Market Cray maps not only include several features that are never mentioned in any of the 14 'Cherrys' books, but also show one highly unusual building that surely would only have been included if it was actually drawn from real life. Worth thinking about."

AA, as part of your research have you visited Francis Frith's web pages - old photos of many parts of UK, plus, reminiscences of people who knew the place, usually in the '50s. As a child I thought the books were based on St Mary Cray, now part of Orpington. I used to spend school holidays in Petts Wood, which is in the same general area and has the mix of 16th century, 1930's and 1950-60's architecture common in UK market towns.

I'm not familiar with the webpages you mention, Cornish Maed. Of course, the whole area will be now so urbanized that walking around St. Mary Cray may be of less help than one would like. Perhaps a combination of drawing upon your memories whilst consulting 60 to 80 year-old 6" to the mile Ordnance Survey maps of the area might serve.

You comment on one 'highly unusual building' which I can't identify from the maps you have posted. Can you be more specific? It could help my detective work!

As an enthusiast for (domestic) architecture down the ages, I find that rectangular two-storied building on the north side of North Bank Road, and fronting on to Marigold Passage, rather intriguing. Not being on the High Street it is unlikely to be either a cinema or a bank. The fenestration (arrangement of the windows, best seen on the rotated map in #4 'THE CHERRYS & THE PRINGLES') clearly shows that 'tis not a house. About the only possibility I can come up with is a purpose-built little theatre.

Posted Image

Would such a building be included if the map was 100% invented?

The best of fortune with your project. :clap:

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’

#48 OFFLINE   Cornish Maed

Cornish Maed

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

Yes, AA, I am in agreement, cinema? theatre? temporary marquee? The field trip will be in abeyance for a month or so as I am just about to start an Open Univeristy course on children's literature - books have arrived, looks stimulating. I am considering using the Cherry books as part of my dissertation - they are fairly unusual because of the adult participation, and all those maps (deep sigh) how I love maps and plans!
:)

#49 OFFLINE   Aurélien Arkadiusz

Aurélien Arkadiusz

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

Even more unusual, Cornish Maed, is the high degree of accurate meshing between all the maps and illustrations, together with their faithfulness to Will Scott's texts. This in an era when it was not at all unusual for cover and spine illustrations, maps and plans, and line-drawings within the body of a :rolleyes: 'mere' *patronising sneer* children's book to contradict each other!

And artist Lilian Buchanan maintains this consistency throughout the entire 14-book series, enabling the reader to consult the maps and illustrations in the other books in the series to check up on a point in the 'Cherrys' book that he/she is currently reading.

:arms: Good luck with your children's literature course.

Non-sneerer, 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :wonder:

#50 OFFLINE   Aurélien Arkadiusz

Aurélien Arkadiusz

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

Perhaps 'tis time to state the obvious - anyone here with treasured memories of Will Scott's wonderful series, or with access to even one of his Cherrys books, is qualified to help build this thread.....

'Aurélien Arkadiusz'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users