Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hazel

The Theatre, dahling.

125 posts in this topic

Going to see this live from the NT at our local Odeon for a tenner each tomorrow - can't wait! It's a great newish venture from the NT - in June we went to Phedre with Helen Mirren and it was wonderful. One really nice thing was that the audience was very respectful - no popcorn rustling or drink slurping! It did seem odd applauding at the end, knowing that the actors were unaware of us doing it, but all in all it was a great experience and I can't wait for tomorrow!

Just got tickets to go and see Bill Bailey and his orchestra show. I caught a bit of it on telly a while ago and was fascinated and entertained, so we thought we'd catch the live show. It's on the 13th December. Tickets were a bit pricey but I don't get out much!

Just got tickets to go and see Bill Bailey and his orchestra show. I caught a bit of it on telly a while ago and was fascinated and entertained, so we thought we'd catch the live show. It's on the 13th December. Tickets were a bit pricey but I don't get out much!

Sounds fab. I absolutely love Bill Bailey.

Tomorrow night, I am going to see Terry Pratchett's Nation at the National Theatre.

Really looking forward to it, but annoyed with myself as I've only managed to read half the book, and I'll only be on my own on the train for about half an hour so can't even catch up then. :(

I'm seeing it on Saturday! Hope you enjoy it. I've not got round to reading it yet, but my husband and daughter have, and say it's great. For those who can't make it to the NT, it's being shown live around the country in various cinemas on Jan 30th - a fantastically cheap way to see great theatre!

Let us know what you thought of it.

Just got home from Terry Pratchett's "Nation" at the NT. I loved pretty much every minute - had ringside seats (2nd row back, right at the side) and while that meant that I didn't get the full benefit of some of the cleverer staging/special effects, I really loved being that close to the actors. I loved Mau, thought Milton was hilarious and brilliantly acted and really enjoyed the puppeteers' work.

The play/book itself has some wonderful comments on science v. religion/superstition and the determinedly repeated phrase "does NOT happen!" is a very poignant one in the context it's used - internal strength and courage are very much themes of this story.

Would recommend to anyone from age 10 to adult. My husband and daughter said that while there were a few small differences, it was in general a very faithful adaptation of the book.

I'd second what Annalies says - we were up in the stalls so could appreciate the spinning stage, but maybe not so much of the puppetry!

I'd read 290 pages of the 410 by the time we got there, and in a way it was nice not to know the end, but to have realised that it was following the book really well. I have now finished the book, and think that the ending was actually very cleverly done.

Reading the book, I said before the show that I think it might also make a fantastic anime film (the dream sequences would be amazing). But the NT did it really well on stage - so much better than I could have imagined!

Just returned from a very funny Evening With Pam Ayres in Chelmsford.

I can't remember when I have laughed so much.

Just saw the RSC's Twelfth Night with Richard Wilson as Malvolio. Fantastic evening, some great performances: Miltos Yerolemo as Feste, James Fleet as Aguecheek. I was bothered by how old Olivia seemed - I've always imangined her in her 20s, but her comic acting in the 2nd half was excellent - and I've never seen this part interpreted as comic so it was really refreshing if a little startling!

The music was excellent - lots of live musicians on stage, and the set and costumes were beautiful.

All in all, despite a relatively slow start to the production, I've come away giving it 4 and a half stars and recommend it highly! My 12 year old daughter seeing her first live Shakespeare was enchanted by it.

Sounds good Annelies. Is that on in London?

We have been given some vouchers for theatre tickets at Christmas and thought about going to London at May Bank Holiday to take in a show or a play.

Has anyone any suggestions bearing in mind we'll have a 15 year old boy with us and my hubby won't do Shakespeare????

I thought perhaps about going to see War Horse at the National Theatre, but I've read mixed reviews. The puppetry is awesome, but there have been suggestions that the human actors don't do it justice. Has anyone seen it?

Went to see Anthony and Cleopatra at the RSC on Thursday. That sounds like I should know what I'm talking about when I come to review it, but I was dragged along on a school trip, and I don't know the play at all.

I enjoyed it fairly well. My colleagues and the kids tell me that it played up the comedy at the expense of the tragedy. Certainly, Cleopatra was more like one of Shakespeare's comedy women than she maybe should have been. It didn't leave a great impression on me, given its stature and reputation.

We are off to see Beauty and the Beast at the Citizens Theatre tonight. I can't wait. Their productions always seem to be magical and Xmassy without resorting to silly jokes and pantomime.

Tomorrow I am going to see Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace in their show Midnight Tango, and the day after I am will be off to London to see a matinee of The Lion King

I went to the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow last night, with pupils, to see "Takin Over The Asylum". This is an adaptation by Donna Franceschild of her own Bafta-winning TV series from the 90s, which starred a then unknown David Tennant.

It was excellent. It follows Eddie McKenna, a double glazing salesman and part-time soul DJ who reinvigorates hospital radio at St Jude's, a mental health facility. It becomes a creative outlet, in various ways, for many of the patients, most notably Campbell, who is manic depressive.

The TV series had sequences of Eddie's outside life, and the stage focus solely on the hospital actually improved the thematic focus on the issue of mental health. It posed some interesting questions about mental health, though in some ways it suggested pat answers, as if all that was needed was a bit of kindness and understanding.

But the performances were excellent across the board, especially Iain Robertson as the beleagured Eddie and the actors who played Campbell and Francine. For such a bleak subject, it was very, very funny, but it could switch swiftly to pathos, without becoming sickly.

Our kids loved it, and they came out asking what's on next and when we can go. Result!

I went to the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow last night, with pupils, to see "Takin Over The Asylum". This is an adaptation by Donna Franceschild of her own Bafta-winning TV series from the 90s, which starred a then unknown David Tennant.

It was excellent. It follows Eddie McKenna, a double glazing salesman and part-time soul DJ who reinvigorates hospital radio at St Jude's, a mental health facility. It becomes a creative outlet, in various ways, for many of the patients, most notably Campbell, who is manic depressive.

The TV series had sequences of Eddie's outside life, and the stage focus solely on the hospital actually improved the thematic focus on the issue of mental health. It posed some interesting questions about mental health, though in some ways it suggested pat answers, as if all that was needed was a bit of kindness and understanding.

But the performances were excellent across the board, especially Iain Robertson as the beleagured Eddie and the actors who played Campbell and Francine. For such a bleak subject, it was very, very funny, but it could switch swiftly to pathos, without becoming sickly.

Our kids loved it, and they came out asking what's on next and when we can go. Result!

I have this series on DVD, wonderful programme, also stars Ken Stott as Eddie.

Great to hear the kids loved it, as you say a result!

Do you know how long it's run is at the theatre? If it goes into next week I might be able to get up to see it.

Do you know how long it's run is at the theatre? If it goes into next week I might be able to get up to see it.

I have the DVD too: will need to watch it again now. I thought Katy Murphy was great as Francine too.

It is only on until Saturday, but then it transfers to the Lyceum in Edinburgh from 13.3 until 6.4.

I have the DVD too: will need to watch it again now. I thought Katy Murphy was great as Francine too.

It is only on until Saturday, but then it transfers to the Lyceum in Edinburgh from 13.3 until 6.4.

Ah thanks MM, that gives me more time to organise a trip.

I went to see Refugee Boy at the Citz in Glasgow last night.

Its an adaptation, by Lemn Sissay, of Benjamin Zephaniah's novel, in a production by the West Yorkshire Playhouse. I expected to really like it, as I go to Dungavel, the Scottish Immigration Removal Centre, as part of a group of visitors / befrienders, so I've met a lot of people who have been in situations similar to the ones tackled in the play.

I was actually fairly disappointed. I felt the issues were tackled with a fairly broad brush. But it was the performances which annoyed me most - the central character was good, but there were several older actors multi-tasking, and their attempts to play teenagers involved wearing a hoodie and jumping about a lot, which irritated me hugely. There was a lot of cliche in the performances. The whole thing reminded me a lot of those issue-driven plays put on by small theatre companies and toured round schools - on bullying, or road safety, or healthy living or whatever. (They're inevitably very shouty and irritating.) And it was barely 90 minutes long, with no interval, but it was charged at their usual full price.

On the positive side, I took my friend's two kids, 12 and 15, and they loved it.

I am off tonight to see the NT Live at the cinema, doing A Streetcar Named Desire. Much easier than trying to get a ticket for the sold out London run!

I loved going to the theatre in my teens & twenties. In recent years there have been fewer opportunities for theatre-going, so I am delighted to find myself within easy (and, at my age, free) public transport routes to both Brighton & Eastbourne.

I have already sampled one or two AmDram productions in Eastbourne, and a couple of months ago Mr meg & I went to see Noel Coward's Private Lives at the Theatre Royal, Brighton,'starring' Tom Chambers

Tomorrow I will be back in Brighton to see another Coward classic, Present Laughter, with a cast including Samuel West and Phyllis Logan.

The actors named in the above are mentioned only because I recognise the names from The Telly - I'm sure there are other equally talenred actors in the cast - just ones whose names have yet to fix themselves in my memory. :naughty:

That's great that you have access to theatre productions Meg, what a treat.

Today's theatre treat was Relatively Speaking by Alan Ayckbourn, starring Robert Powell & Liza Goddard

Was it good?  Did you enjoy it?

Great for you Meg to have much easier access to theatres.  As for Ayckbourn we've seen many outstanding productions at the Crucible.  Not such a good experience was last week when we watched a live screening from the National Theatre at our local cinema of Terence Rattigan's The Deep Blue Sea.  Helen McCrory did live up to the ecstatic reviews of her lead performance but for us nothing could make this dated 1950s play 'live'.  I actually thought it might have come off better on TV, more intimate.

Edited by chuntzy

http://www.ett.org.uk/whats-on/silver-lining

An English Touring Theatre and Rose Theatre Kingston world première production

On one dark and stormy night in the upper day room of the Silver Retirement Home, 5 elderly ladies are trading stories of their remarkable lives. With the storm floods rising and no rescue team in sight, the ladies are faced with the sudden realisation that in order to survive they are going to have to do what they have done for their entire lives – do it themselves!

Silver Lining is the hilarious new comedy by Sandi Toksvig. It tells the tale of 5 extraordinary yet forgotten women, who come together one treacherous night to recreate The Great Escape – senior citizen style!

This production contains strong language and sexual references. An age guidance of 12+ is recommended. 

I went to see this on Tuesday evening at the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick. Highly recommended if you want a laugh out loud fairly fast paced comedy. My only gripe would be the way in which some of the backstories of the ladies were told. Instead of drip feeding into the story line they were often just info-dumped in one big block of talking which slowed the play down. But over all a great night out.