Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

Daft Names

94 posts in this topic

A player in the London american football game today for the buffalo bills is Ritchie Incognito.

I think "Incognito" is a relatively common Italian surname, originating in Sicily, which is a little amusing to think about.

This particular Incognito is not amusing to think about at all. He's considered one of the dirtier players in the NFL, which is saying a lot. And he caused all sorts of problems in the 2013 season when he was playing for my home team, the Miami Dolphins, most of which involved racist comments and physical threats. Yuck.

I think "Incognito" is a relatively common Italian surname, originating in Sicily, which is a little amusing to think about.

This particular Incognito is not amusing to think about at all. He's considered one of the dirtier players in the NFL, which is saying a lot. And he caused all sorts of problems in the 2013 season when he was playing for my home team, the Miami Dolphins, most of which involved racist comments and physical threats. Yuck.

Oh was not aware of that. He sounds a nasty piece of work.

My brother had a friend called Richard.  Surname Dick.  And yes, he was known as Dick Dick.

One wonders what his parents were thinking.  

Not sure if daft is the right word,

A good friend named his son Jack having a surname Jackson, His reasoning was people with unusual/striking names tend to get further in life?

His reasoning was people with unusual/striking names tend to get further in life?

Maybe that's what Dick Dick's parents were thinking, too.

I had a doctor once whose surname was Joseph.  That was also his middle name.  I never asked about it, but he had a great sense of humor and the nurse's used to say "are you here to see Dr. Richard Joseph Joseph?" with a laugh, so I guess it wasn't a sore spot.  

Maybe that's what Dick Dick's parents were thinking, too.

I had a doctor once whose surname was Joseph.  That was also his middle name.  I never asked about it, but he had a great sense of humor and the nurse's used to say "are you here to see Dr. Richard Joseph Joseph?" with a laugh, so I guess it wasn't a sore spot.  

Yeah but daft ?

A word in the English language that means silly/stupid but with some mental health associations.

Edited by Clavain

Not sure if daft is the right word,

A good friend named his son Jack having a surname Jackson, His reasoning was people with unusual/striking names tend to get further in life?

My real name is unusual and it hasn't gotten me very far. Most people forget it instantly

One wonders what his parents were thinking.  

Binker, I would re-phrase this question as "One wonders WHETHER his parents were thinking"!!!

While we're on daft names (I hadn't noticed this thread until now), let's remind ourselves of the legacy of that old fruitcake Frank Zappa.  One son named DWEEZIL and a daughter lumbered with the moniker MOON UNIT.  Thanks Dad!

Then there's David Bowie's son ZOWIE.

And on the first name/last name ladder how about the late father of the footballing brothers Gary and Phil Neville, whose parents must have had a bit of a sense of humour in calling him, wait for it, NEVILLE NEVILLE.

Then there's David Bowie's son ZOWIE.

only his middle name though

according to an irish times interview

“Actually, I was christened Duncan Zowie Jones,” he explains with an amused sigh. “Bowie is my dad’s stage name, so I was never, ever called Zowie Bowie. The tabloids liked that because it rhymed. My parents did call me Zowie now and then, but then, realising that it drew too much attention, they called me ‘Joe’. Then, later, I sort-of co-opted my own name back.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/an-oddity-of-an-odyssey-1.701645

In the book Enigma by Hugh Sebag Montefiore he mentions a Vice Admiral by the name of Pridham Wippell which just sounds like a made up name to me :).

I could have sworn Pridham Wippell was a small village in the Cotswolds!

It the risk of veering to the risque... There was a chap somewhere I worked with the surname Mycock - off to a bad start even before he was christened Paul.

Where I work we have a fellow with the surname Hiscock. It can only be good fortune that these two never worked together. Unfortunately (for him) it gives rise to endless graffiti opportunities,usually along the lines of "has anyone seen....."

I could have sworn Pridham Wippell was a small village in the Cotswolds!

Where I work we have a fellow with the surname Hiscock. It can only be good fortune that these two never worked together. Unfortunately (for him) it gives rise to endless graffiti opportunities,usually along the lines of "has anyone seen....."

Are you thinking of Wire Piddle?

Ah now, this one made me chuckle!  Maybe he could find a Miss Herc..nt?

The English navy in the eighteenth century is a rich source of collectable names - Sir Hyde Parker and Sir Cloudsly Shovell to name but two.

Not so much daft as co-incidental. The bank person I am communicating with at the moment has the surname 'Cash.'