Starry

Christopher Moore
Bloodsucking Fiends

5 posts in this topic

Cached Thread

Hazel 11th October 2006 11:33 AM

Bloodsucking Fiends

Amazon Synopsis - Jody never asked to become a vampire. But when she wakes up under an alley Dumpster with a badly burned arm, an aching neck, superhuman strength, and a distinctly Nosferatuan thirst, she realises the decision has been made for her. Making the transition from the nine-to-five grind to an eternity of nocturnal prowlings is going to take some doing, however, and that's where C. Thomas Flood fits in. A would-be Kerouac from Incontinence, Indiana, Tommy (to his friends) is biding his time night-clerking and frozen turkey bowling in a San Francisco Safeway. But all that changes when a beautiful, undead redhead walks through the door ...and proceeds to rock Tommy's life - and afterlife - in ways he never imagined possible.

After a good review in The Guardian, I picked this book up looking for a light hearted, enjoyable and easy read which this book delivers. The dialogue is snappy and funny, the action is adrenaline packed, and the plot engages you while dragging you along for the ride.

On the cover there is a comment by Carl Hiaasen who says that Moore is a "very sick man" - but the gore promised implicity in this is never delivered. For a vampire book there is a lowish body count and no where near enough gore to satisfy. The book is more like a teen book in that respect. That said I did enjoy reading it - it wasn't at all taxing, but just wish there was a little more bloodshed.

Starry 11th October 2006 12:53 PM

I'm really surprised that this book is marketed as a horror book as I've always thought Christopher Moore was after more laughs than screams :)

I loved this when I read it a while back, it is my favourite of his that I've read so far. It seemed to steal bits from every vampire book that I've read (not that there have been that many) and lines like "Lestat can do it" made me laugh out loud. My only tiny complaint about his books is that he packs in so many characters that I get easily confused about who is who!

Tamora 11th October 2006 03:24 PM

Christopher Moore?? Horror?? :hmm:

All of his books I've already read are quite humerous, though. Will be a new experience!

Hazel 11th October 2006 04:58 PM

I agree about the horror thing - looking at his catalogue it seems like this book has been marketed as a horror solely on the 'vampire' connection. And certainly the front cover is horror-like. It was a very funny book - just low on blood/bodies which I have come to expect and like from a vampire book.

I completely agree with everyone who says this is not a horror novel. It doesn't take itself anywhere near that seriously. A very fun and compelling read, with a great storyline that whips right along. Several lol moments, and many many smiles. But the book also has a heart, and I actually found myself caring about the main characters. The whole idea of the Emperor (which, I just discovered, is apparently based on a real person!) was a great one. I do wish that Elijah Ben Sapir, the old vampire who turns Jody, had been delved into a little more deeply, but this is not a deep book. I would classify it as comic fantasy, rather than putting it anywhere near the horror genre. But as comic fantasy it is cleverly done and highly entertaining.

Edited by Dan

I was in need of a "good fun" read and this appealed to me, so I have started it.  I'm not very far, but I'm really enjoying it.  Very clever.  

I finished this last night.  What fun!  Also, I think it's set around the time when I lived in the Bay Area (1982-1985).  The description of certain areas, like North Beach, are exactly as I remember them and I think they have changed in the interim.  The AIDS epidemic was just starting to be identified by people living in the area--the rest of the country seemed oblivious.   I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series, but have taken a page from CP's book and no longer read books in a series back-to-back..