Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

3,044 posts in this topic

Buying books always cheers me up so today I got : The Wicked Boy, Kate Summerscale, Manuel, A M Nicol, and bought for me Paper Folded Flowers, Elizabeth Moad

Today I bought The Darling Buds of May, H E Bates.  I know that the Jacaranda Tree was recommended but I'm in the middle of a factual book about the war so decided on this one instead.  Thanks to Tay for reminding me about the author.

19 minutes ago, Lunababymoonchild said:

Today I bought The Darling Buds of May, H E Bates.  I know that the Jacaranda Tree was recommended but I'm in the middle of a factual book about the war so decided on this one instead.  Thanks to Tay for reminding me about the author.

The Larkins are such great literary characters :-) but beware you may find yourself craving a 'Full English' for breakfast, probably with champagne as well :lmao:

I bought the omnibus edition earlier this year and read all four of the short books back to back.  Such easy enjoyable reading.  I found them to be wonderful comfort reading, a bit like the James Herriot books I have read since.  I have no idea why authors such as these go out of fashion the way that they do.  I am just about to start The Jacaranda Tree.  I hope I enjoy it as much and I look forward to the comments of others.

58 minutes ago, Tay said:

The Larkins are such great literary characters :-) but beware you may find yourself craving a 'Full English' for breakfast, probably with champagne as well :lmao:

I saw a bit of the TV series when it was on and loved it so I probably will.

41 minutes ago, cherrypie said:

I bought the omnibus edition earlier this year and read all four of the short books back to back.  Such easy enjoyable reading.  I found them to be wonderful comfort reading, a bit like the James Herriot books I have read since.  I have no idea why authors such as these go out of fashion the way that they do.  I am just about to start The Jacaranda Tree.  I hope I enjoy it as much and I look forward to the comments of others.

I'm glad that they are easily read, I'll need something easy after Absalom, Absalom!

I popped into Waterstones for a quick browse which, predictably, cost me about £25:

The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes

This Must be the Place, Maggie O'Farrell

The Dark Circle, Linda Grant

A Quiet Life, Natasha Walters

I feel very optimistic about these buys: I started The Sense Of An Ending over coffee and I am very impressed.

I enjoyed it MM.  It was an introduction to Julian Barnes for me and I now intend reading more.

If you are looking for something to counterbalance a hard read Luna you have made the right choice.  Enjoy.

44 minutes ago, cherrypie said:

If you are looking for something to counterbalance a hard read Luna you have made the right choice.  Enjoy.

I am and thank you.  I like to stretch myself from time to time but I do enjoy a lighter/comfort read at other times

Julian Barnes – The Noise of Time
Rose Tremain - The Gustav Sonata
Herta Müller – The Land of Green Plums
Adam Foulds – The Quickening Maze
Jostein Gaarder – Through a Glass, Darkly
Hilary Mantel – The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher
Huruki Murakami – Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

I got fever dream by samanta  schweblin

Edited by iff

The Complete Works of F Scott Fitzgerald, on Kindle (for 49p!).  Not bad for someone who doesn't like e-books and thinks it odd to buy both e-books and paper books, which I find myself now doing. Hmmmmmm

ETA First, I bought F Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby in paperback.

Edited by Lunababymoonchild

George Sanders, Lincoln In the Bardo and Mark Bolitho, Perfectly Mindful Origami, The Art and Craft of Geometric Origami

two more books purchased

compass by mathias enard

flatland by edwin abbott abbott

the influence to get flatland was the reviews here

The Good Soldier, Ford Maddox Ford and Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon, Fred Emery

On 5/18/2017 at 19:52, lunababymoonchild said:

Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon, Fred Emery

Hi Luna I'll be interested to know is this is good. 

1 hour ago, Tay said:

Hi Luna I'll be interested to know is this is good. 

I'll be happy to let you know, when I get there.

On 5/21/2017 at 16:11, lunababymoonchild said:

I'll be happy to let you know, when I get there.

Thank you Luna :-)